HFG Happy Families Support Network Inc. (affectionately referred to as “HFG”), was founded by Leonie Segall in July 2012 as a support group for women and children who have experienced abuse. As well, HFG also serves as a central repository of available resources and information to support these women and children in their transition to living lives free from abuse.
Our first monthly support session was held on the last Saturday of October 2012. Monthly support sessions are held on the last Saturday of each month from September to June, with a break for summer in July and August. The monthly support sessions are held at a central location close to transit and the highway, which is therefore easily accessible from all over the GTA.
HFG was incorporated on February 4, 2013 as a Not-For-Profit Organization. We are staffed 100% by volunteers and our workshops are facilitated by professionals in our community who also volunteer their time to our cause. HFG’s services are free of charge to all participants.
HFG has the following six (6) purposes and operates workshops and activities to support these purposes.
To remove barriers to accessing support and services
- No restrictions on economic status
- All are welcome at no charge
To strengthen the bonds of women and children who have experienced abuse and assist them in learning new and positive ways of interacting with each other; and to facilitate a support group meeting where moms can talk about their experiences and exchange ideas.
HFG will provide the following services free of charge:
- Parenting classes – sourced through community services or in-house workshops
- Counseling – sourced through community services or in-house workshops
- Family recreational activities with similarly situated persons and staff
- Monthly support sessions on the last Saturday of every month for 10 months each year (we take July and August off for the summer holiday)
To assist women who have experienced abuse with reintegration into the work force, maintaining their current jobs or starting their own businesses by providing or sourcing the required skills training and instructions.
HFG will source or provide the following services free of charge except for business start-up costs:
- Resume writing
- Interviewing skills
- Preparing for the interview
- Computer skills – email and internet usage, training in MS Office Suite
- Registering a business
- Becoming an entrepreneur
- Marketing a business
- Marketing using social media
- Designing logos, flyers, brochures, business cards, etc.
- Printing business cards, flyers and brochures
To provide children who have experienced abuse the opportunity to stay in school, and to source the necessary assistance.
HFG will source or provide the following services free of charge:
- Arts and crafts
- Drama, music and dance workshops
- Leadership training (1 year volunteer-in-training program) and babysitting course
To assist women who have experienced abuse in learning life skills which will help in their move to lead lives without abuse.
HFG will source or provide the following services or workshops free of charge:
- Meal planning
- Time management skills
- Confidence building
- Wills and Estate planning
- Conquering fear
All training and workshops are run by trained professionals.
To educate society about Domestic Abuse and its effects on women and children
- Right-On – a weekly conversation about Domestic Abuse, before, during and after